SCL Contact Lenses - Therapeutic Lenses
Hand painted soft lenses may be beneficial in a wide range of eye defects, both cosmetic and optical. From simple, occlusive black pupils to large, stabilized offset irises for the cosmetic masking of strabismus, many conditions may be helped by our contact lenses.
You can see close-up images of the pictures shown above and examples of our work in our photo gallery of therapeutic lenses.
It is possible for patients to visit our studio near London for colour matching. Please ask your practitioner to contact us for details.
The practitioner must decide which type of lens will best suit the circumstances of each particular patient and often there will be a choice of different types each with certain advantages and disadvantages.
Tinted and coloured lenses may also have a wide application in a number of indications including:
- Albinism - to reduce light sensitivity and minimize macular damage in patients who lack iris pigment by controlling the amount of light entering the eye
- Amblyopia - to strengthen the eye with poorer vision by blocking the images seen by the better eye in patients, particularly young children
- Aniridia - to reduce light sensitivity and minimize macular damage in patients without an iris, either due to a congenital abnormality, trauma, or surgical excision
- Colour vision - to enhance colour discrimination
- Diplopia - to serve as an occluder and eliminate double vision in patients with temporary or permanent diplopia
- Dyslexia - tinted lenses have been shown to be effective in relieving some of the symptoms of this condition
- Fixed, dilated pupil - to reduce photophobia by designing an opaque lens with a small, fixed pupil
- Heterochromia - to provide better cosmesis in patients whose iris colour is different in each eye
- Iridectomy or Iris Coloboma - to reduce light sensitivity and restore a normal appearance to an eye whose iris has either been partially excised or has holes in the iris
- Photophobia - to reduce light sensitivity with an enhancement tint or a lens with an opaque iris and tinted pupil